Acupuncture is the stimulation of specific acupoints along the skin of the body involving various methods such as the application of heat, pressure, laser or penetration of the skin with thin needles. It is a form of complementary and alternative medicine and a key component of Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM).
ATOM provides in-depth training in acupuncture, including point location, TCM energetics, needling technique, and adjunct treatment modalities such as moxibustion, guasha and cupping. During the course of training in TCM diagnosis, including class work and clinical experiences in pulse and tongue diagnosis, students develop a comprehensive picture of the health status of their patients. All acupuncture treatments administered at ATOM’s patient clinics are supervised by our highly experienced clinical faculty, most of whom were trained in China. Patients that are treated in ATOM’s intern and affiliated clinics can expect to receive the highest levels of care and at a reasonable cost. ATOM offers free acupuncture services to our veterans and active military.
Conditions effectively treated with acupuncture, include, but are not limited to the following:
- Neurological conditions such as headaches, insomnia, stroke, hearing loss, neuralgia, neuralgia, paralysis, peripheral neuropathy,tinnitus, dizziness, etc.
- Cardiovascular disorders such as hypertension, hypotension, palpitations, tachycardia, bradycardia, Raynaud’s disease, angina, peripheral circulation problems, including cold hands and feet.
- Respiratory conditions such as bronchial asthma, acute and chronic bronchitis, acute tonsillitis, rhinitis, sinusitis, hay fever, chronic cough, laryngitis, sore throat, influenza and the common cold.
- Digestive system disorders such as toothache, post-extraction pain, gingivitis, mouth ulcers, hiccough, spasms of the oesophagus, gastric and duodenal ulcers, gastric hyperacidity, gastritis, heartburn, hiatus hernia syndrome, flatulence, paralytic ileus, colitis, diarrhea, constipation, hemorrhoids, liver and gall bladder disorders, and weight control.
- Urogenital disorders such as cystitis, prostatitis, orchitis, low sexual vitality, urinary retention, kidney disorders, nocturnal enuresis, and neurogenic bladder dysfunction.
- Gynecologicaland obstetric disorders such as PMS, irregular menstruation, abnormal uterine bleeding, hormonal disturbances, menopause, menstrual pain or discharge, prolapse of the uterus or bladder, infertility, and morning sickness.
- Skin conditions such as eczema, dermatitis, psoriasis, shingles, nerve rash, shingles, acne, healing of scar tissue, hair loss and dandruff.
- Eye conditions such as visual disorders, red, sore, itchy or watery eyes, conjunctivitis, simple cataracts, glaucoma, optic atrophy, optic age-related macular degeneration (AMD), myopia in children, lazy eyes, and central retinitis.
- Musculoskeletal disorders such as osteoarthritis, sciatica, lumbago, weak back, low back pain, rheumatoid arthritis, gout, tenosynovitis, shoulder and neck pain, cramping,cervico-brachial syndrome, ‘frozen shoulder’, and ‘tennis elbow’.
- Sporting injuries such as sprains, corking and tearing of muscles and bruising.
- Psychological conditions such as depression, panic attack, anxiety/stress, PTSD and addictions to smoking, alcohol or drugs.